Friday, January 29, 2010

True of false? It's not the size that matters, its the way you use it.

It's 5:55am by my mac clock. In other words there is no sane reason why the fuck I am awake right now. And do you want to know the worst reason of all?? All I can think about when I try and get back to sleep is the Chocolate Swirl Croquembouche from Masterchef. Crazy??! mmm I think I am on my way if not already there. 


Anyway, apart from the dreams of toffee and caramel and sinking my teeth into crunchy puff balls with silky custard all night (sounds a little erotic and I assure you it was!) But since I am up nice and early (why do people call it 'nice and early'?? its NOT NICE!!) I thought I'd make the most of my time at home since my work computer has every site that is remotely useful blocked.


Blog note: I cooked this roast dinner one Sunday night a few weeks back before the blog was started but for goodness knows why my mission had. 


Recipes 13, 14, 15, & 16: Perfect roast pork with Roast potatoes, parsnips and carrots, Yorkshire puddings and a consistently good gravy.  (I have been reading Julie Powell's "The Julie/Julia Project" and having all the recipes in French sounds so much more exotic and grand then anything sounds in English).


Firstly the pork goes into the small oven, resting on a bed of veggies and herbs. After this was done I started my roast potatoes, parsnip and carrots. These needed to be part cooked by boiling them first. Low and behold the water took 15 min to boil but I had already peeled them which could have been done while the water was boiling but I didn’t read the recipe all the way through or plan the tiny oven disaster that is my mothers kitchen to a T. 


While I was suppose to put the vegies in the oven 20 min after the meat has gone in, the veggies went in about 50 min after the meat was cooking which meant that everything in the tiny oven was running late. 


Next was getting the Yorkshire pudding batter ready as it has to sit for 30min. This I could do as the veggies still had an hour left to cook and the meat would be done in half an hour. And I still needed to make the gravy and cook to the Yorkshire puddings and carve the meat and make sure that the crackling was crackly. 


The pork was overcooking the veggies weren’t browning and it was about 8pm now. At this point I don't know how you can make a Jamie roast dinner with all the trimmings in one oven. Oh thats right!.... if you have a normal size oven your fine!!!


After a glass of cold water and a lot of goooss-fra-baa I was ready to get back in the game. 


The meat came out and crackly crackling was removed, covered in foil and then the pan which had the meat juices and bed of veggies was put on the hok where flour, wine and stock was added. Everything was mushed with a potato masher and left to simmer. Next the muffin tin was put in the oven to heat, then oil was added in the muffin sections and put back in the oven to heat up further. 


By now I have complaints from mum and Tristan that they're hungry and its getting too late to eat dinner. I had suddenly found men's skill of selective hearing.


The gravy was sieved and put into a jug, the batter poured out into the muffin tin and back in the oven. It is about 8.30pm now and the Yorkshires need to bake for 15min with no disturbing allowed. I carved the meat, served it and the Yorkshires started burning. Shit! By now mum and Tristan were sitting at the table waiting patiently (patiently my arse!). Dad was getting in trouble putting butter on the dinner table in case any one wanted any.


So after disturbed the puddings I got out the veggies and served them with the now cold pork. When the puddings were done everything was sent to the table and dinner was served. 

Cold pork with luke warm gravy and hot veggies with slightly oily Yorkshire puddings. Dinner was eaten at 9pm but apart from late night indigestion I think it was mostly a success. Everyone was v polite and said they enjoyed it.  I think if i had given them dog food they would have said it was nice they were so hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment