Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 1- Danielle's Beginning of the End




After sitting on my bed feeling slightly hungover and sorry for myself as 2010 is finally here I realised I had no New Years resolutions... for once. Yes there are always the ones like loose weight, stay healthy and find love. This year I am leaving the first two in 2009 as they never made it through the year finished and the later of the three I have already done. SO back to feeling slightly hungover and no resolutions I looked aimlessly at my full bookshelf and saw all the cookbooks that I have only cooked maybe one or two recipes out. It was a bit depressing. Hundreds of dollars spent on recipes and only a handful cooked. I needed to show my bookshelf and books some respect... I need something to keep me sane going into 2010. A goal… a mission.

Yes i am sure that everyone (don't think anyone except Erin at work is reading this but hey.. Her idea was the blog mine was to just cook) is thinking that this has already been done by the famous Julie Powel but hey?! It got her through her a year so why not let her idea help me through 2010. And no I am not going to cook my way through Julia Childs Mastering the Art of French Cooking, I do own a copy but I think aspic has me leaving that book off my book shelf for this mission. Plus i don't think i could convince anyone to eat it, the bf loves meat but jellied meat.... not so sure.
The question is: what book? After a minute or so staring at my bookshelf that had an overflowing shelf of cookbooks that were starting to be stacked in the romance section (shock horror!) except one book stood out.
Jamie's Ministry of Food.
I think it was the words on the inside of the book sleeve that enticed me...
"I have written this book to empower you..."
Yes I just blushed too :)
There are 173 recipes in Jamie's Ministry of Food. Julie gave her self 365 days for 524 recipes. I have 173 recipes in my mission so to make it fair I have 120.5 days to complete my mission. Which gives me 17 weeks, approximately about 4.3 months. Is it doable? I mean Julie did live only with her hubby and didn't have to share a kitchen with her mother whereas I do. So I think 6 months give me time to let mum have her space in the kitchen and let me have a life outside this ridiculous mission I've decided to do.
Did that last bit even make sense? ok so my time ends on the 30th of June 2010. 173 recipes to cook in 6 months...Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment