Monday, January 11, 2010

Bring a Salad

Recipe #2 (& #3)- Rice Salad. BBQ at Chloe's house sitting house last Friday and it was a 'Bring a Salad' do. I'm a sucker for them! Last time I made a couscous salad that had too much chilli and not enough of anything else but couscous. Plus I have this problem of over catering so there was a lot of this too much chilli too much couscous salad. I have dissed that recipe as a bad day and will never make it again. This time I felt confident with my salad choice. Jamie's Rice Salad.

First things first was to cook the rice so it could cool. The rice for the salad is a mixture of long grain and wild rice. I mixed the both of the rice together assuming that it all takes the same amount of time to cook. Wrong. The wild rice takes longer as Mum came in and told me about 30 seconds too late. (At this point I could hear Tris's voice in my head saying "Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups") Two words to describe how my rice turned out trying to cook it Jamie's way instead of in the trusty rice cooker. Burnt Pan.

The rest of the goodies for the rice were chopped and ready to go, this included fresh chilli's. Tip #1: Never think that you've washed your hands enough after chopping chilli. I learnt this the hard way last Friday. How you ask? I kept burning my fingers while cooking the rice and would put them straight in my mouth. It felt like I’d transferred the heat burn from the rice pan to my fingers and then into my mouth. I felt like I could have breathed fire!

The salad was then dressed (with Jamie's
Lemon jar dressing) but I was still not. After I threw on a pair of shorts and top, packed my bag and got out the door mum had me back inside cleaning the stove top that to my eyes was clean but to hers it was not.

Finally at the party an hour late with a glass of bubbly in my hand.... couldn't get any better! -ok maybe if I had a pina colada in a coconut :)

No comments:

Post a Comment