Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Vegemite Pie

Recipe #40 and 41- Classic mince and onion Pie & Pastry Lid.


Last night I felt like soup but was the only on in my family who felt like soup. Very disappointing when you're trying to describe Fresh Mint and Pea soup to people who just turn up their nose and say...'Soup?'


So Vegemite Pie it was. I say Vegemite Pie because of course the obvious, there is Vegemite in it. First recipe I have made (apart from tiger toast) that asks for Vegemite. Ok well Jamie says Marmite but I thought I would Auzzie the pie up and use Vegemite.




I fried the carrots, onions and celery with fresh rosemary and dried bay leaves until the onions started to go translucent. Then added the mince, hot mustard, Vegemite, worcestershire sauce and 2 tsp of flour and stirred until everything was mixed through well. I have to admit the Vegemite did not want to spread I would advise mixing a splash of boiling water with it next time to make it easier to mix. The stock and boiling water was then added and left to cook with lid off for 1 hour. Jamie says lid askew but there was a lot of liquid so I thought lid off so the sauce could reduce which it did perfectly. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees when you have about 30 min left of cooking.


I then transferred the mince mixture into a ceramic pie dish to let cool slightly and let my pre-rolled shortcrust frozen pastry thaw. Next the pastry went over the pie. This is where I struggled and had holes in my pastry. Cook for about 40min or until golden on top.


The Vegemite Pie was YUM. We had it with buttered peas. Mum kept saying how English this meal was but I don't think so... Vegemite Pie is definitely Auzzie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment