Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Crumble hides reality.

Recipe #44- Stewed fruit.


We had a going away dinner tonight for 2 friends that will be leaving us for four and a half months. I don't think it's hit me yet that there actually going so I made dessert instead of thinking about it.


Rhubarb and apple crumble. Goodness knows how much rhubarb I used but I had to cook for 10-11 people I was told so in my lunch break today I went to the fruit shop in Westfield where I found a bunch of rhubarb which was about a metre tall. Very embarrassing taking it back to the office where I got looks like "is that a tree??" "no its rhubarb!" I stared them back.


I also bought 1kg of apples with my rhubarb and when I got to the counter I realised I had no cash on me so I took out my bank card. "Minimum of ten dollar" the checkout chick said. So I grabbed a bag of nuts that were on the counter to make up the extra $2 that I need to spend. "15 dollar thank you" I bought the most expensive nuts in Chatswood which I didn't even want.


Back to the crumble.


Mum helped me peel and chop the apples as I has half an hour to make a crumble and be at someone's house where I ended up getting lost anyway. The rhubarb and apples went in with some water and sugar and stewed for a bit. Yes some of this and a bit of that. I didn't really measure... naughty naught naughty I know. My rhubarb wasn't as pink as I had hoped for. But then I'd never cooked or eaten rhubarb until. It all cooked nicely and went that awful shade of pink that nanna's wear. I tipped the crumble filling into an oven proof dish and let cool before I covered it with foil for the car trip. 


Next was the crumble topping. I used flour and butter and rubbed it together with my finger tips ( and added some oats). Yes again a little bit of this and a little bit of that. When I started measuring the flour on top of the butter the scales turned off. Helpful that I couldn't take the flour out and re-measure it.


The car trip went well and I did not spill and in mum's car even though I did get lost alone with only a crumble to swear at in the car.


The Girls cooked the main which was delish, thank you my lovely's. 


I preheated the oven and spooned over the crumble filling and some demerera sugar. I thought that would give it good crunch but it didn't really work. I had way to much crumble topping for my stewed fruits. And although I was warned that rhubarb can get too excited and bubble over I didn't think it would happen in the oven but yes the rhubarb got excited, so I took the crumble out a little to early because I didn't want to mess the oven that was not mine up. So no crunchy crunchy topping. Maybe I put too much on... and the centre went very mooshy. I think less cooking on the stove next time and more time in the oven or under the grill so get nice and crunchy on top. Everyone said they enjoyed it so I will take that as a dessert accomplished :)

No comments:

Post a Comment