Saturday, February 6, 2010

Thursday's weather forecast: Mutton done up as lamb.

I spent all of Thursday in my little work cubicle watching the overcast day go past. To me winter had come early as I sit underneath two air con vents and freeze Monday to Friday.  This particular day however, the clouds matched the temperature inside. People were even talking in the kitchen while making tea about winter foods and how they were looking forward to them like pie's and stews and soups. Now this caught my attention. Soup. I have not had soup in months and after hearing the word I couldn't get it out of my head. Soup soup soup!!


When it hit 5:01pm I was out of my chair and in the lift. At about 5:05 I was walking to the bus stop in sweltering muggy heat. Yuk. Even worse for soup eating (do we eat or drink soup?? hmmm a though to think about.) It was lovely and wintering in the office. Outside it was mutton done up as lamb for all I can say. It was horrible.


But my mind was set on soup so soup it was. 


Recipe #19- Potato and Leek soup
Jamie asks to chops 2 carrots, 2 medium onions, 2 cloves of garlic, 400g of leek and 2 celery stalks. Add them to a hot pot with 2 tbs of olive oil and cook with the lid on askew for 10min or until the leeks and carrots are tender. Next add your 1.8L of stock and your 400g's of peeled and cubed potatoes. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 min with lid on. Process with a food processor.


All sounds good and easy. I spent about 20min while it was coming to the boil and boiling, fishing out tiny black bits of onion that has caught on the bottom of the pan. I got most of them out before i got to the blending part. After the soup was blended I added about a TBS of salt.


I served it with buttered bread, eating on the balcony, on a  hot summer night. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment