Sunday, August 1, 2010

Back in Syd.

I'm back home now but really wishing I was still away. My Molly is keeping me company while I mope in my bedroom listening to Jay Z. It's funny when you come back from somewhere you love and then everything suddenly reminds you of being away... music, foods, smells... hmmm. It's a bit woe me at the moment but when I get back into the swing of normal life I'll snap out of it. Thats the worse thing about holidays... coming home from them.


Thinking of things that remind me of Vancouver. Maple Syrup is a biggie and of course I brought some back with me. Who was I to go to Canada and not bring some back!?


I made Jamie's One-Cup pancakes to go with the delicious syrup. It more made me wish I was back living in my best friends lounge room not sitting at my kitchen bench in winter Pj's cooking for mum and dad.


Recipe #52  One-Cup Pancakes with Canadian Maple Syrup.


Its a very simple and delicious recipe. In a large bowl whisk 1 large egg, 1 cup of self-raising flour (you know you can't get this in Canada... don't know why but you can add baking powder to normal flour and get the same result), 1 cup of milk and a pinch of salt. Whisk batter until smooth then add butter to a frying pan (medium-low heat) and cook. The trick I use is once the batter starts to bubble on the first side and the bubbles pop, flip the pancakes over and cook for about 4 seconds on the next side and they're cooked perfect. I then keep warm in the oven if I'm making a big batch but they are best straight out of the pan.


All that was missing was slow cooked bacon :)


I also brought back with me Awesome Sauce which I got from Moss Street markets (Vancouver Island) and Beetroot and Horseradish relish (we had this with Lamb chops last night...Yum and Yum!) The awesome sauce is like a hot sauce but better and much more flavour. I am going to have to see if they will ship internationally as I can see we are going to g through it sooo quickly.  Or I'll just have to go back and pick some up personally :) such a shame hey?

No comments:

Post a Comment