Friday, March 26, 2010

A little bit of inventing.

We had our ritual girl’s dinner the Wednesday that just past and we devoured a Lemon Meringue Pie that the host prepared for us along with minestrone soup. Was it as good as it sounds...? Hell Yes it was!! :)


But I couldn’t resist myself and had to make something and bring it along with me. I have the cooking bug at the moment and sorry Jamie but it’s not for your fish recipes... I did the wrong thing and cooked everything I was dying to cook to start with now I’m left with baked apples... 4 types of porridge... and more cod. Ah well, I will get through and be gastronomically wiser after.

Anyway back onto last Wednesday night I made a Baked Artichoke dip. I tried a similar dip to the one I made at a friends house and thought it was delicious so while looking through a few recipes online I took initiative and made my own version. It's very simple and very decadent. It's almost like a creamy artichoke fondue.
-- If you are cooking to the dip straight away- Preheat your oven to about 190 degrees Celsius. --
1. Add 6 tablespoons of mayonnaise, 6 tablespoons of sour cream, 1 teaspoon of dried marjoram and 8 tablespoons of grated vintage cheese in a bowl along with 2 clove of fresh garlic minced.
2. Mix everything together and season well with salt and freshly grated black pepper (be careful not to over salt at this point).
3. Dice a 400g can of Artichoke hearts to the size you like. (I diced mine into little squares to give the dip some texture.) Add the chopped artichokes to the cheese mixture and mix well.
4. Test to see if it needs more pepper or salt. WARNING. It will taste VERY garlic-ee at the moment but do not be alarmed the hot-ness of the garlic does calm down when it’s baked. Pour the dip into an oven prove dish- I use an oval shaped one (very retro!)
* -- If you are making the dip a day in advanced stop now and cover with cling and refrigerate until required.--
5. Top with grated Parmesan Cheese and bake for about 20 min or until heated through. Move the dish up in the oven to let the cheese bubble on top. You may need to dab a bit of the oil from the top with kitchen paper so that guests don't feel too guilty indulging and Serve with crusty baguette pieces and carrot fingers. The carrot gives a lovely refreshing change to the satisfying rich-ness of the dip its self.

Mmmm mm

No comments:

Post a Comment