Friday, September 10, 2010

Osca Thai basil Pesto

Recipe #57: Chopped Pesto... (ok I cheated and used Osca)

We picked up basil from the Asian supermarket on the way home for 99c but I think we picked up thai basil instead of normal basil as the smell reminded all of us of Chilli Basil Beef not Italian food. It still worked but maybe thats why mum's tastes different Jamie's but it also could be that she adds parsley.

The recipe says chopped pesto but everyone was so hungry, Osca the tiny food processor was much more efficient then me with a knife. Here is what went in Osca:

- One and a half garlic cloves (Jamies says one but Tristan LOVES garlic so how can I not add a little more?)
- A bunch of Basil (leaves, tiny flowers and thin stalks only)
- A handful of pine nuts
- A couple of hunks of parmesan
- S&P
- Juice of half a lemon
- Olive oil
How to: Wizz until it becomes a fragrant green paste.

We had the pesto over gnocci (store bought but good... would of loved to make gnocci from scratch but I didn't trust myself among the starving family) and my favourite tomato salad.
[The picture is of me eating the leftovers for lunch at my desk. I didn't have time to take a quick snap before we devoured our plates.]

My tomato salad doesn't really have mesurements but here is what I do; Thickly slice a few ripe tomatoes and overlap on a serving dish. Slice half moons of red onion and even spread over the tomatoes. Next sprinkle a pinch of dried oregano (fresh is better if you have it) and some S&P. You can't eat it naked so dress it with some delicious green extra virgin olive oil and a splash of a combination of white wine and balsamic vinegar. I love the colours of this salad.

I always think with a heavy rich dish like Pesto Gnocci you need a refreshing finish and this tomato salad gives you that crisp clean you are craving -dont forget the crusty bread to mop up the pesto and dressing. mmm Enjoy! and always Eat, Love and Laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment